Q: I am brand new to everything, I don't know where to start?

Answer: First step is to obtain the permit (Class A or Class B) – Check out the Getting a CDL tab on our website.

Q: What items/personal information will I need come test day or at the DMV?


  1. Valid Minnesota driver’s license
  2. Valid Minnesota permit
  3. 2nd form of ID (Birth certificate or passport, DMV DOES NOT accept social security cards)
  4. DOT health card (if you have one)
  5. Cash/Cards for processing the license after the test is completed/passed. (ranges from $51-$75)

Q: Do I need a DOT health card?

Answer: You do not need a DOT health card to come to our school, nor do you need a DOT health card to test with the state. However, most employers will require it unless they are exempt from requiring drivers to obtain one. Check out the Resources” tab on our website to know where to obtain a DOT health card.

Q: What do I need for my training days at MN Truck & Trailer School?


  1. Current valid Minnesota driver’s license and a valid Minnesota permit.
  2. Dress accordingly, training is done all year round. (No socks and crocs, yes we are serious)
  3. Training will still happen in the rain/snow. (Unless it’s deemed unsafe to travel)

Q: How do I remove restrictions on my license? (Auto restriction, Air brakes, Non tractor trailer)


  1. In order to be eligible for the test, you will need to hold a valid permit again. 
  2. You will then need to take the CDL test all over again (Pre trip inspection test, and the road test) in a setup that has the restriction that you are trying to remove.

Q: What do I do when I need to upgrade my license? (Going from Class B to Class A license)


  1. First obtain a Class A Permit.
  2. Same process as the Class B, but all over again (AKA repeating the testing/training process. The training will need to be ELDT approved. Meaning going through an approved program through a truck driving school. Check out our plans on the Pricingtab.

Q: What vehicles do we use?


  1. We offer training on both Classes (Class A or B) check out the “Trucks” tab for pictures.
  2. We also offer students the ability to train in automatic transmissions or manual transmissions.
  3. Trailers are 32 ft bumper to bumper. Total setup length 52-55ft.
  4. All trucks and trailers are equipped with AIRBRAKES.

Q: Does CAL / MNTTS offer refunds and / or credits?

Answer: CAL / MNTTS does NOT offer refunds. Once payment has been received, we only offer credits for future use.

Q: I'm coming from out of town, where can I stay overnight while my training goes on?

Answer: Holiday Inn Express, Country Inn & Suites, Best Western Plus are all 2-3 miles from our office in Blaine.

Q: I have a driver's license from another state. Does that matter?

Answer: Yes, in order to test in Minnesota, you need to have a Minnesota driver’s license and a Minnesota CDL permit. If you have a permit from another state, you will need to redo it here in Minnesota.

Q: I am a veteran. Do I qualify for assistance or discounts?

Answer: Yes, we are approved through the VA to accept the GI Bill®. Learn more here.

Q: Do you offer funding for CDL (Commercial Drivers License)?

Answer: No we do not have in house funding. We do have a partnership through Anoka County CareerForce Center which helps individuals looking to obtain a CDL (Commercial Drivers License). Call 763-324-2284 or visit http://anokacounty.us/jtcapply today for more information! We also have a partnership with Walters Recycling & Refuse, Inc. Call 763-438-6365 or Email ehorgen@waltersrecycling.com Eric and find out more information. Say you are coming from Class A Leasing

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.